Friday 18 January 2008

Caught By The Liver

– an occasional nod to exceptional tipples

As we’ve been working our way through January with an aching liver, it seems an appropriate time to launch the new Caught By The Liver section of the site. Corny name we know, but seeing as we love a drink, we thought we’d share some of our favourites with you. Here goes.

First up, my two, currant ( pun intended) beers of choice:

Cain’s Raisin


A very different beer. With a twist if you will. Helpful, because they say a change is as good as a rest, and if you’re like me, stopping isn’t an option. I came across it at a family dinner to mark my Mum’s 60th birthday. I’m expecting to enjoy the food (it’s amazing) and the wine is predictably great. The surprise is the beer we have at the bar when we arrive. It stops me in my tracks and I delay sitting at the table until I’ve had another. It was Cain’s Raisin. Here’s the company blurb. ‘A 5% abv prize winning rich, fruit and amber ale infused with succulent Californian raisins. Choicest hops give depth, density and complexity.’ It lies somewhere close to a bitter but the raisins add a subtle sweetness, leaving you with a surprisingly pleasant aftertaste. One that screams ‘drink more.’ It has received accolades from CAMRA, which must mean it’s good. It was even awarded ‘Best Fruit Beer’ at the World Beer Awards 2007. It’s made in Liverpool, home of the Cain’s brewery. At present its best known in the North West, but as Liverpool is the city of culture ’08 and Cains the official brewer, expect word to spread.

Orion


Next up, something totally different. Orion beer is a deliciously refreshing crisp lager from Okinawa, Japan. Unlike your average Japanese beer, its not made in the UK and is fairly hard to find here. It won’t be on draft in the pub or on offer in the local supermarket. That said it’s worth searching out. There’s something about it that puts it head and shoulders above any other lager I’ve tried, (and believe me I’ve tried). Orion have recently looked to Asahi to help them market beyond Okinawa. Good news as long as production doesn’t shift to Kent.

  • cain's


  • Andrew Walsh